THOUGHT FOR THE WEEKSeptember 18, 2019
BIBLE STUDY : 17TH SEPTEMBER, 2019September 18, 2019
TOPIC: WISDOM FROM ABOVE
TEXT: JAMES 3:13-18
The fact that we have wisdom from above presupposes that there is wisdom which is not from above, and if it is not from above it can only be from BELOW.
A1. Above in this context is evidently telling or reffering to the THRONE OF GOD in heaven.
- The Jews hold wisdom in a very high esteem
- There is need to have more than mere knowledge to handle the affairs of life
- Wisdom is seen as the correct application of knowledge in any given circumstance
- It is unfortunate that there are people who are incredibly intelligent yet they are unable to carry out the most simple tasks of life
- Wisdom according to the scripture is the principal thing
- Wisdom is one of the seven perfect spirit of God – Isa. 11:2
- Wisdom is a mark of growth – Luke 2:40
- Jesus Christ is the wisdom of God – 1Cor. 1:24
- The earth came into existence by wisdom –Ps. 104:24; Pro. 3:19.
- TYPES OF WISDOM: According to the Bible we have the following as the identifiable forms of wisdom.
- Earthly wisdom -James 3:15 Tower of Babel – Gen. 11:1
- Sensual wisdom -James 3:15 Tamar and Absalom – 2 Sam. 13:19
- Devilish wisdom -James 3:15 Ananias and Saphira-Acts 5:1-11
- Man’s wisdom -1 Cor. 2:4 – Disciples sending away 5,000 because of food –Luke 9:10-17
- Irresistable wisdom –Luke 21:15
- Wisdom of the princes of this world -1 Cor. 2:6; Luke 16:8
- Wisdom of the world – 1 Cor. 2:26
- Wisdom of God -1 Cor. 1:24; 1 Cor. 2:7
- Wisdom of the wise – 1 Cor. 2:19; 1 Cor. 1:25
- Wisdom of the Greek – 1 Cor. 1:24
- FALSE WISDOM: THE CHARACTERISTICS – James 3:14ff
- Bitter envying – James 3; 14: 16
- Strife in the heart vs. 14:16
- Glory in profession vs. 14
- Earthly i.e. having this life only in view vs. 15
- Sensual living only to satisfy the animal appetite- 2 Samuel 13:19
- Devilish, inspired by demons vs. 15
- Confusion vs. 16
- Every evil work vs. 16
8 CHARACTERISTICS OF DIVINE WISDOM FROM
- a.ABOVE – JAMES 3:13-18
- Pure – Chaste, holy, clean vs. 17
- Peaceable – vs. 17; Heb. 12:14; Luke 12:49-53
- Gentle – Meek, Modest and kind
- Easily entreated: Not stubborn or obstinate but yeilding to others.
- Full of mercy: Always foregoing and performing acts of kindness
- Full of good fruits – Gal. 5:22-23
- Without partiality: Having no respect of persons – vs. 17; James 2:1-10
- Without hypocrisy – open, honest genuine and true vs. 17
- EDUCATION AND WISDOM
We have many educated illiterate
- WISDOM AND INTELLIGENCE
We have many with two Ph.D yet devoid of wisdom
- WISDOM AND OLD AGE
We must not assume that AGE alone always makes us wiser – Job 32:9; Ps. 119:100, Job 12:13, 20.
- THE VALUE OF WISDOM
- Job 28:16 It is of inestimable value
- Pro. 3:13-14 It brings happiness
- Pro. 3:11 It makes for better life
- Eccl. 2:13 It amounts to an excellent life
- Eccl. 7:19 It brings strength
- Job 28:12 We must search for it
- Pro. 1:20 We must yield to the call of wisdom
- WHO NEEDS WISDOM?
ALL OF US PRIESTS, PARISHIONERS, BOYS, GIRLS, MALE, FEMALE, WIVES, HUSBANDS, PARENTS, BUSINESSMEN, TENANTS, LANDLORDS, POOR, RICH, OLD, YOUNG, STUDENTS, ETC.
- HOW TO GET THE WISDOM FROM ABOVE
- By asking from God – James 1:5; Exod. 31:3; Dan. 2:23
- By living in the fear of God –Job 28:28
- By experience –Job 32:7, Learning from circumstances and situations of life
- By seeking divine truth –Hos. 14:9
- By hearing and acting on the word of God – Matt. 7:24
- By holding the word of God in high esteem – 2 Tim. 3:15
- By praying for WISDOM – 2 Chro. 1:10; Ps. 90:12; Pro. 2:1-3;
Eph. 1:17; Col. 1:19; James 1:5.
EXAMPLES OF MEN POSSESSING WISDOM
- 1 Kings 3:5-12; 1 Kings 4:3; 1 KINGS 10:3 – King Solomon
- Dan. 1:20; 2:20 Daniel
- Acts 6:10 – Stephen
- Our Lord Jesus remains a perfect example of WISDOM. He is undoubtedly WISDOM PERSONIFIED. To have Jesus Christ by accepting Him as LORD and SAVIOUR is to have WISDOM through the constant unction of the HOLY SPIRIT.
CONCLUSION: We must eschew the wisdom of the world in all our dealings in every spheres of human endeavour. Wisdom is the principal thing and we must seek it from above on daily basis. We need wisdom to overcome the enemies of our souls, destiny and progress.